Château d'Oiron

The Château d’Oiron is located between Poitiers and Angers. The construction of the building started in 1620 thanks to Louis Gouffier. The right wing is composed of a terrace and of a pavilion. The left wing is composed of galleries and of a magnificient Renaissance staircase. In 1705, the castle is owned by Madame de Montespan.

Along the 18th and 19th centuries, the castle became obsolete due to the fact that the owners could not afford the proper upkeep of it. In 1923, the castle, almost ruined, was listed as a French historical monument and then, it was bought buy the French State which decided, in the early 1990‘s to set up a totally new project to develop the castle.

Thus, in 1993 opened the Curios and Mirabilia collection. It is a contemporary art collection, inspired by the former collections housed in the castle, especially Claude Gouffier’s ones. Since then, the rooms of the castle have been open to public and have been refurnished and rehabilitated, giving the castle a contemporary style but respecting its history.

Accommodation nearby

Latest news onChâteau d'Oiron