Château de Domeyrat

Domeyrat Castle is a medieval castle on the town Domeyrat in the department of Haute-Loire in France. It is classified as historical monuments. The founders are Papabeuf's, the 1st mention of the family, the one of Stephen of Papabeuf, dates back from 1114 and contained in a manuscript Sauxillanges for giving the land to the abbey. That of the castle seems more than a century after the census of the vassals of Alphonse de Poitiers compiled between 1250 and 1260: Astorgius and son of Bertrand Papabeuf then make a tribute to Castle Domeyrat.

The family of Papabeuf remains owner until 1348, when it seems to die suddenly, a victim perhaps of the plague ravaging the region. Just an interim period which saw a succession of lords and inhabitants of the castle: Montaigut Stone, mentioned in 1368, Catherine de Châteauneuf Adhemar in 1375 with Jory, who then gives it half the land he owned.

The sale does not mention that land Domeyrat and suggests the possibility of abandoning the castle victim among other disorders caused by the Hundred Years War. Domeyrat then returned to the family of Langheac. The acquisition, whose terms remain unknown, seems to lie with Langheac Pons, seneschal of the province, which is recognized as the lord of Domeyrat in 1387. His son John succeeded him as Langheac Seneschal of Auvergne in 1419 and inherited the manor in 1421. He married Margaret of Charpaigne Gouge, Gouge niece of Martin, bishop of Clermont. Under his influence, the building has a considerable reshuffle.

We told him that he is the second builder of the castle, where much confusion about the date of original construction. Probate of estates, family Langheac retains ownership until 1619, when off the last descendant of Frances Langheac. By her husband, Domeyrat happening in the property of the family of La Rochefoucauld. After expanding the field in 1591, Francesca Langheac and Jacques de la Rochefoucauld Domeyrat leave their son. First co-lordship between Charles-Ignace Francois heir to the title and who has the enjoyment of the fief and to be one of the last lords living in the castle.

His heir, Henry de la Rochefoucauld, established Brassac; burdened with debts, he sold in 1656 to Domeyrat Christophe de Beaune. Gradually, the castle was abandoned. Riddled with debt, the last Lord abandons its main creditors: Francois and Louis-Marie François Farges Marie in 1773. The field is enlarged, although they do not live there. After their deaths in 1790 and 1792, underage girls inherit Domeyrat. The revolution is forcing major changes. The field is divided into three municipalities: Domeyrat La Chomette Montclard and then sold in batches from 1793 to 1795. Meanwhile, the dismantling takes place in 1794. The General Council of Haute-Loire bought the monument to different families and is a historical monument since December 30, 1983. It is now managed and run by an association law 1901, the Company's "And So much ...!" Arts at the request of the owner. It is a professional theater company that has developed an interactive animation which relive the days of Philip Augustus in 1220.

Accommodation nearby

Latest news onChâteau de Domeyrat