Église Saint-Pierre

Church of Saint Pierre in Chartres (Eure-et-Loir), is an historical monument. Before the Revolution, it was part of the Abbey of Saint-Père (Father Pierre meaning here) which traces back to the seventh century. The church became a parish in 1803. It is probably the queen Bathilde, in the seventh century, not the foundation of the Abbey of Saint-father, older, but an increase in revenues. Destroyed several times by the Normans between 858 and 911, the abbey was completely rebuilt in 930 by Bishop Aganon, who is buried there. The fires of 1077 and 1134 destroyed it almost entirely, except the west tower built as a dungeon. The damage is so extensive that the Abbe Foucher decides to fully rebuild the church retaining the tower saved from the fires. The discovery of the tomb of St. Gilduin, died at the abbey in 1007, an influx pilgrims and donations, which allowed the abbey to continue the work of the choir, whose windows were installed in 1190. The rest of the reconstruction takes place during the thirteenth century in less favorable financial position. So do we give up to demolish the tower early. The building was completed around the year 1320. The abbey buildings have evolved according to different modes and the vicissitudes of history. The north gallery of the cloister was rebuilt in the thirteenth century, the cloister in full in 1408, the dormitory (which disappeared in the fire of 1584) was rebuilt and completed in 1609, all buildings are renovated between 1700 and 1709 ... The Revolution eliminated the cloister and church uses, emptied of much of his furniture factory as saltpeter. The remaining buildings are assigned to a cavalry barracks before being assigned to high school Marceau, the Museum at a military hospital ... In 1803, the church Saint-Pierre (thus changing the name) returned to worship. Today, the church hosts regular concerts at the Festival of organs.

Accommodation nearby

Latest news onÉglise Saint-Pierre