Château de Cougoussac


Cougoussac Castle is a castle on the French town of Gabrias in Lozere. The domain is registered Cougoussac Historic Monument since 1986. In the fourteenth century manse of Cougoussac is converted into a castle by the lords of Gabrias. This manor was part of the twelve manors of Gevaudan, which gave an annual admission to particular states of Gevaudan.

Then at the end of the sixteenth century, the castle became a property of the Calvet family, lords of Fontanilles (the Cevennes). This family, early converted to Protestantism, is suffering the horrors of religious wars, including the violent repression in the country. In 1587, the castle échoie to the family of Bressolles Retz.

Retz family, whose origins are Scottish, was greatly established in Gevaudan, and different branches have acquired several estates in the country. These are the Retz Bressolles who convert to the castle, giving the general appearance preserved until today.


Accommodation nearby

12 € From
aubrac-hotel aumont-aubrac

Aubrac Hôtel

  • Aumont-aubrac
  • 04 66 42 99 00

image reservation



Latest news onChâteau de Cougoussac