Situated at the edge of the river of 'l'Indre'', the Chateau d'Ussé denotes the outskirts of the forest of Chinon, which by its foliage, magnificently contrasts the white facades of the castle. Although there are traces of a prehistoric and Gallo-Roman presence, the first brick of the edifice was laid in the 15th Century by the Lord of Usse, Jean Bueil.
The contruction will last throughout the 16th and 17th century for the castle that we see today, this brings two types of architecture, some gothic influence but also some of inspired Renaissance. The Castle of Ussé was listed as a French historical monument in 1931.
The French formal gardens of the castle strengthens the idyllic fairytale atmosphere which has inspired famous writer, Charles Perrault for his world known fairy-tale Sleeping Beauty. The king's bedroom and some other rooms of the 18th century, have been restored in 1995 and a collection of tapestries is stored in the Grand Gallery. In addition, the castle indulges each year in a themed exposition of periodic costumes. Photo credit: Manfred Heyde, licence CC-BY-SA-3.0
Les attelages de la Gadouillère
- 02 47 95 47 62
Les roulottes de Ligéris
- 02 47 95 47 62
Hôtel le Lion d'Or
- 02 47 81 20 20
Latest news onChâteau d'Ussé
The castle is open to public from mid-February to mid-November.
13th February to 31st March: 10am to 6pm (Last admission at 5pm)
1st April to 31st AUgust: 10am to 7pm (Last admission at 6pm)
1st September to 11th November: 10am to 6pm (Last admission at 5pm)
Adult (over 16): 13€
Children aged from 8 to 16: 4€
Adult groups (minimum 20 people): 7e
Children groups (aged under 16): 3.50€
Non-guided tour: the documents are available in English, German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Russian.
- 3 Museum
- 8 Monuments