Château de Montrottier


Despite the alterations, the castle retains the characteristics of medieval military architecture. In the XIII century, it was as a fortress, the Tower of religious, isolated rocky outcrop on the north and protected by the "Grande Fosse" Proud of bed in the Quaternary. This is the fourteenth century dates the corner turret housing the spiral staircase to suspended silt. The home of the Knights, the home of the Earls, the curtain wall and tower date from the fifteenth century, terraces and gardens of the nineteenth.

Since John of the XIII century Montrottier Academy Florimontane until today, the castle has belonged to various owners, the most notable are: Stone Menthon adviser and ambassador of Amédée VIII, first Duke of Savoy (fifteenth century). General Guillaume Henri Dufour, a citizen of Geneva, engineer, surveyor and politician in Switzerland (early nineteenth century). Baroness Rochette who made major reconstruction and restoration (mid nineteenth century). Victor Frerejean, industrial Lyon (late nineteenth century). Leo Mares, prodigious "collector of collections" which, in 1916, bequeathed the estate to the Academy Florimontane, learned society based in Annecy in 1606 by St. Francis de Sales and his friend the lawyer Antoine Favre, father of the grammarian Vaugelas . The visit of the castle is possible since 1919.


Accommodation nearby

73 € From
hotel-alpha epagny

Hôtel Alpha

  • Epagny
  • 04 50 22 67 46
60 € From
domaine-de-la-caille la-balme-de-sillingy

Domaine de La Caille

  • La balme-de-sillingy
  • 04 50 68 85 21
21 € From
domaine-de-la-caille la-balme-de-sillingy

Domaine de La Caille

  • La balme-de-sillingy
  • 04 50 68 85 21

image reservation



Latest news onChâteau de Montrottier