Château fort de Lourdes

Its origin dates back to Roman times, then he was besieged in 778 by Charlemagne and became the residence of the Counts of Bigorre in the eleventh century and twelfth century. In the thirteenth century it passed to the Counts of Champagne (also kings of Navarre) before entering the field of the kings of France under Philip the Fair. It was ceded to the British by the Treaty Brétigny in 1360, before returning to France in the early fifteenth century to the end of two seats. The structure of the castle was strengthened in the thirteenth century and fourteenth century (construction of the tower) and again in the seventeenth century to the nineteenth century. In the seventeenth century, the castle became a royal prison and state after the Revolution, until the early twentieth century when, under the leadership of Louis Le Bondidier Margalide and his wife, he became the seat of the Pyrenean Museum (1921 ) it is still home. It is the largest museum of folk arts and the Pyrenees.

Accommodation nearby

46 € From
villa-la-colombiere lourdes

Villa La Colombière

  • Lourdes
  • 05 62 94 39 35
43 € From
chalet-saint-louis lourdes

Chalet Saint Louis

  • Lourdes
  • 05 62 94 03 89
48 € From
hotel-restaurant-du-soleil-levant argeles-gazost

Hôtel Restaurant du Soleil Levant

  • Argeles-gazost
  • 05 62 97 08 68

Latest news onChâteau fort de Lourdes