Église Saint-Saturnin

The church of Saint-Saturnin Limeray is a Roman Catholic church located in the city of Limeray. Built around 1032 by Lord Hugh Limeray, Saint Saturnin church was rebuilt many times in the twelfth, sixteenth and eighteenth centuries. The oldest part on the base of the tower, built in small device steady, primitive debris from a bell tower rebuilt in average unit in the eleventh century. The terrible floods of the Loire in 1856 invaded the church and produced extensive damage. About 1880 the abbot Blaive transformed the gallery that housed the porch, narthex which were reused six marble columns from Amboise and a big novel brought Abbey Moncé. It was demolished under the auspices of the historical monuments in 1963 and the original facade restored in 1964. Most statues of the church, more than half are classified, from research and acquisition of Abbot Blaive, pastor of Limeray from 1872 until his death in 1898, art collector and amateur archaeologist, author several papers at the Archaeological Society of Touraine. He had transformed the church and narthex in a small museum whose eclectic only the essential documents have been preserved. He also wrote a manuscript in 1893 focusing on the description of his church. His brother Lucien was the owner of the Manor of Avisé. It is a listed monument since March 30, 1926.

Accommodation nearby

155 € From
l-aubiniere-hotel-restaurant saint-ouen-les-vignes

L'Aubinière Hôtel Restaurant

  • Saint-ouen-les-vignes
  • 02 47 30 15 29
139 € From
chateau-de-pray amboise

Château de Pray

  • Amboise
  • 02 47 57 23 67
70 € From
hotel-le-pigeonnier-de-fombeche saint-martin-le-beau

Hôtel Le Pigeonnier de Fombêche

  • Saint-martin-le-beau
  • 02 47 50 20 90

Latest news onÉglise Saint-Saturnin