Porte du Peyrou


The Porte du Peyrou was built in 1691, on the old city walls, dedicated to the glory of  Louis XIV. Located on the highest summit of Montpellier, the monument is the most famous landmark of the city. It offers at the top of its 103 steps a remarkable view of Montpellier and its surroundings.

Built between the Haussmanian Rue Foch and the Parc du Peyrou, the Porte du Peyrou of Montpellier towers aboive the city with its impressive dimensions of 15 meters, 18 meters wide, but also a portico of 4.70 meters of opening and 7 meters high. This large door, alike to the Porte of St. Martin in Paris, is the entrance to the «Place Royale' » of the Peyrou in honor of the king Louis XIV, benefactor of the city. The Porte du peyrou is composed of low relief which show various stages of the reign of Louis XIV: the end of the Canal du Midi,  the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, the taking of Namur, but it is also possible to admire a medallion representing the Sun King  slaying a lion which embodies the English enemy and the badge of the city of Montpellier.


Accommodation nearby

115 € From
mas-de-fourmel saint-clement-de-riviere

Mas de Fourmel

  • Saint-clement-de-riviere
  • 04 67 67 00 85
180 € From
le-mas-des-oliviers saint-mathieu-de-treviers

Le Mas des Oliviers

  • Saint-mathieu-de-treviers
  • 04 67 56 82 10

image reservation



Latest news onPorte du Peyrou