Château du Hohlandsbourg


The construction of the castle, on the orders of Marshal Colmar Gundolsheim Siegfried, from the year 1279. The site, located at 620 meters to monitor Colmar and its surroundings. From 1281, the citizens of Colmar revolted and burned the castle with the help of High Bailiff of Otto Ochenstein. The castle then passes under the control of Ensisheim before it was given in fief to the Counts of Ribeaupierre then Lupfen in 1410 who enlarged.

In the sixteenth century, the castle belongs to Lazarus Schwendi great general of the empire and who, they say, would have brought the Hungarian Tokay in Alsace. It also expands and strengthens the castle. Alsace became French after the Thirty Years War, the castle welcomes troops who blew up in 1637 for fear of seeing him fall into the hands of an Austrian army. The castle is the subject of a classification as historic monuments by the list of 1840. It is restored from the 1990s to become a historic and cultural center.


Accommodation nearby

56 € From
hotel-de-l-ange niedermorschwihr

Hôtel de l'Ange

  • Niedermorschwihr
  • 03 89 27 05 73
92 € From
hotel-relais-du-vignoble gueberschwihr

Hôtel Relais du Vignoble

  • Gueberschwihr
  • 03 89 49 22 22

image reservation



Latest news onChâteau du Hohlandsbourg