Abbaye de la Sauve-Majeure
The Abbaye de la Sauve Majeure was built in 1079 by St. Gerard and the Duke of Aquitaine, on the very site where there was a large forest that was cleared for the construction of the monument. It is this element which gave its name to the Abbey "Sauve" as a term for the wood.
The Abbey had in history a great reputation and becomes a very important religious and cultural place. It was started as a symbolic pilgrimage to Compostela. The monks residing in this building had a rich and prosperous life, often resulting in attacks and looting.
Having suffered several damages due to natural disasters, the abbey began to decline. After the revolution, the village of Sauve use material from this monument to rebuild other buildings.
The building came in 1998 as a World Heritage of Humanity. Despite the different damage that the Abbey has undergone, it remains an impressive monument, built by its imposing Roman style
La roulotte du Prieuré de Mouquet
- 05 56 23 26 57
Chambres d'hôtes La Rivière
- 05 57 84 65 53
Latest news onAbbaye de la Sauve-Majeure
June to September, daily from 10 to 18
October to May, daily except Monday from 10:30 to 13h and 14h to 17h30
1 January, 1 May and 25 December
Full price: 7 €
Reduced price: 4.50 €
Adult groups: 5,50 € (from 20 persons)
School groups: 30 € (35 people maximum, 20 € for PTA)
Under 18 (accompanied by an adult)
18-25 years (nationals of 27 countries of the European Union and non-European residents regularly on French territory)
Disabled person and their companion
- 4 Museum
- 5 Monuments